International Student-Athlete Leah Bennet Provides Inspiration to Us All

Coming all the way from Johannesburg, South Africa, Leah Bennet traveled 9,164 miles to represent Wayne State College’s women’s soccer team. The courage and dedication Leah Bennet has bestowed to Wayne State College is truly remarkable.  

Moving across the world is far from an easy task. Bennet explains how leaving her family and country is the hardest part of studying abroad. Bennet can only visit home once a year and there have been a lot changes at home over the past year. 

“What drives me is my family and how much they wanted this for me,” Bennet said. “They pushed for it to happen, and they continue to push me to make a life for myself away from South Africa because our country is deteriorating with each year. It’s quite sad to see especially from the outside looking in. I do this for my family, especially my mother. Because I want more for all of us, not just for me. I do it for all the people who helped me get here and those who continue to show support from South Africa. I owe it to them to make this journey a successful one.” 

Despite the sacrifices and hardships of studying abroad, Bennet has continuously risen above adversity. With the women’s soccer team, Bennet has brought talent to the pitch and a kind and loving heart to the team. Bennet’s teammates speak highly of not just her soccer skills but more importantly her character. Bennet inspires the team and everyone she’s around with her radiant personality, work ethic and passion for what she loves.  

Bennet has  displayed success in the filmmaking department of Wayne State College. Bennett won the Wayne State College screenwriting contest with the script “This is He.” This prestigious award allowed her the opportunity to produce the film with all expenses covered by the college. Bennet puts her writing skills to use in journalism too, as she is a staff writer for the Wayne Stater. This is just the beginning of Bennet’s film career, and the future is looking very bright for her.  

Bennet has found great happiness in America, and she tributes the people of Wayne for welcoming her with open arms.  

“I’m incredibly grateful to the team and the people for taking me in and making me feel right at home. I’ll never forget them,” Bennet said. 

Bennet will graduate with a degree in digital filmmaking in the spring of 2024 and go on to follow her dreams of being a screenwriter. Leah Bennet will undoubtedly accomplish great success and positively impact all of those she comes across. Wayne State College is lucky to have the opportunity to have an individual like Leah Bennet represent and become a part of the Wildcat family.  

“My experience at WSC has been one that I will hold dear to my heart forever because of the people, my team, the lessons, and the future it has prepared me for,” Bennet said.  

$100
$500