Protecting the house

The Wayne State College women’s volleyball team returned home for three straight home games last week. The Wildcats secured three straight victories bringing their record to 17-1 and 8-0 in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play. 

On Tuesday, Oct 3rd, the Wildcats faced off against the Winona State Warriors. The Wildcats downed the Warriors in four sets, 25-19, 26-24, 20-25, 25-18. Wildcat junior middle hitter Maggie Brahmer recorded a staggering 26 kills giving her a new career high. Taya Beller also recorded 13 kills, adding three blocks as well. The Warriors are the first team to take a set from the Wildcats since WSC defeated previously 9th ranked Southwest Minnesota State in five sets on Sept. 23. 

The Wildcats prepared for a quick turnaround as they faced off against Bemidji State on Friday, Oct. 6. The Wildcats defeated the Beavers in a three-set sweep, 25-10, 25-18, 25-17. Brahmer continued to dominate as she led the Wildcats in kills with 15. Senior outside hitter Kelsie Cada would pile on 11 kills while also serving up three aces to help lead the attack. The Wildcat defense held strong as libero Jordan McCormick recorded 13 digs while junior Allie Petry recorded six.  Beller also was credited with four blocks as Taylor Bunjer recorded two blocks up front. 

The final game of this home stretch pit the Wildcats against the Golden Eagles of Minnesota Crookston. The Wildcats beat the Golden Eagles in three sets, 25-20, 25-10, 25-12, in a dominant victory that never saw the Wildcats trail. Once again, Brahmer and Cada led the attack combing for 30 kills. The Wildcats recorded a total of 46 kills with an astounding .449 hitting percentage. The Golden Eagles were faced with a Wildcat defense firing on all cylinders as McCormick dug up 16 kill attempts while Allie Petry followed with nine digs of her own.  

The Wildcats’ success this season has placed them at number one on the DII volleyball poll for three consecutive weeks. Their success at home has had a huge impact on conference and national rankings. Even when away from Rice Auditorium the Wildcats can stay leveled-headed and continue to earn victories on the road. 

“It always an advantage to play at home in front of our own fans, but when we do play away we just try to focus on ourselves and block out the crowd around us,” Petry said. “For us, it’s all about who is on the other side of the net. It is easy to be caught up in who’s ranked and who isn’t, we just focus on our opponent and take it one game at a time.” 

Brahmer earned her third straight NSIC player of the week honors, getting the offensive award for the second straight week.  

The Wildcats will travel to Augustana on Thursday, Oct. 12 before coming back home to take on the Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks on Saturday, Oct. 14 as they look to continue their dominance after this successful weekend. 

$100
$500