Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Wildcats take home HC win over Bulldogs

The Wayne State College football team took home a hard fought 28-18 win over the previously 17th ranked Minnesota Duluth during Homecoming weekend. This win propels the Wildcats’ record to 5-1 and 4-1 in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play.
Wildcat quarterback Nick Bohn completed 14 of his 24 pass attempts and threw for 145 yards against the Duluth defense. Bohn’s longest throw was a 41-yard pitch and catch to wide receiver Trevor Marshall. Bulldogs quarterback Kyle Walljasper only was able to complete eight of his 18 attempts and threw for 72 yards. Preparing for games can be tough but teams watch a lot of films to prepare themselves for the teams coming ahead, Bohn mentioned.
“Most demanding part is just understanding what the defense is doing and making sure the offense is on the same page,” Bohn said. 

Redshirt freshman running back Latravious Boyd had the most running yards on the team with 99 yards, including a 75-yard touchdown run. Redshirt-freshman Kendrick Watkins-Hogue led the way in receiving with seven catches for 62 yards and a touchdown.  

Junior wide receiver Ashten Schmaderer said that the team knew it was going to be a hard game, but they still managed to get that win. Preparing for an upcoming game is one of the most important things to do before the day of the game comes. Coaches can only do so much for their players by having them watch film and practicing things in practice to prepare themselves. It is also what the players do on their own to prepare for the games that is also important. 

“You’re going to get 100 different looks from the defense so being able to adjust each play and still do your job is definitely the most difficult,” Schmaderer said. 

Penalties were a big storyline in this game. Minnesota Duluth had more penalties than Wayne State, having six flags thrown on them for 60 yards, compared to the Wildcats five penalties for only 29 yards. Across the board, it was an equal matchup between the two teams and a well fought match. 

Bohn was awarded NSIC Offensive Player of the Week for the third time this season.  

The Wildcats will be back at home this weekend on Saturday, October 14 against the 15th ranked Bemidji State Beavers. The Beavers sit at 4-1 on the season and are coming off a bye week. The game is set to take place at Bob Cunningham field on WSC’s campus and is slated to start at noon.  

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.