Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

The Transition from Highschool to Wildcat College Student Athlete Life

On Wayne State College’s campus, 15 NCAA DII sports teams are continuously working toward excellence in the community, the classroom and on the field. Every school year, new freshmen arrive to campus to continue expanding the talent and growth of Wildcat athletics. These freshmen will face the transition of leaving home, all while competing at the next level and balancing academic and athletic responsibilities.  

At the ripe age of 18, freshmen student-athletes compete every day with 19–25-year-old athletes for playing time. Upperclassmen, who have already found their way and adjusted to the demands of college athletics, certainly have the advantage. WSC student-athletes are expected to be in prime athletic form, as they must be ready to train, lift and play five to six days a week, year-round. Balancing athletics and academics is a challenge that many Wildcats excel at, setting an example and expectation for incoming players.  

Aside from the physical demands of athletics, the mental stressors young athletes endure are apparent too. The emotion of missing home, facing a lack of playing time and/or experiencing academic struggles may burden freshmen. Many Wildcat athletes rise above this adversity and find greatness alongside the guidance of their teammates.  

“Having support from my teammates and coaching staff helped me through the transition. Everyone around me wanted to see me exceed, which motivated me through training and games,” Wildcat soccer junior defender Sydney Schnase said.    

Once Wildcat athletes become acclimated to their new responsibilities, it is easy to love every part of representing the paw. Every semester has its challenges, but the many positive memories are what truly sticks with the student-athletes.  

“All the memories made in the long trips to the short trips to just hanging outside of football or even during workouts, mean the most to me. I don’t know where I’d be if I hadn’t met the people I’ve met while being an athlete in college,” junior football running back Zach Coleman said.   

My favorite part about being a college athlete is the meeting the new people and traveling with my teammates and coaches, as well as just becoming a better basketball player and person,” sophomore men’s basketball guard David Harmon said.  

In the end, Wildcat Athletics inspires, impacts, and develops character in countless individuals. The opportunity to play collegiate sports at WSC provides student-athletes with a fulfilling and memorable experience. 

“It is a blessing to represent Wayne State as a student-athlete. It is one of the best times of my life, that I will cherish forever,” Schnase said.   

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.