The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts a Winter Wonderland

The “Old Farmer’s Almanac” has a message for the United States, “Get ready for a Winter Wonderland!”  

The “Old Farmer’s Almanac” launched in 1793 while the “Farmer’s Almanac” began in 1818. Both publish annual weather predictions, and their forecasts are created two years in advance. The predictions, however, are drawn from separate, secret forecasting formulas.  

The “Farmer’s Almanac” bases predictions on sunspot activity, tidal action and the position of the planets. The editors of the “Farmers’ Almanac” safeguard their formula by keeping the identity of weather prognosticator, Caleb Weatherbee, and the exact formula as brand secrets, according to farmersalmanac.com.  

In comparison, the “Old Farmer’s Almanac” compares solar patterns and past weather patterns with current solar activity.  

Both the “Farmer’s Almanac” and the “Old Farmer’s Almanac” publications boast an 80% accuracy rate, but a University of Illinois study found otherwise. The study declared that the “Old Farmer’s Almanac” was only about 52% accurate, thus, random chance, according to popularmechanics.com 

The 2024 “Old Farmer’s Almanac” makes many predicts: above average snowfall across most snow-prone areas; wetter-than-usual weather in the southern portions of the deep south, Texas, and California; and potentially drought-quenching rain with mild to cool temperatures from New England down to Florida.  

For the Northwest and Midwest specifically, the book warns of potential colder-than-normal temperatures in areas that typically receive snow. The 2024 “Old Farmer’s Almanac” also advises readers to “keep a shovel at the ready early,” as snow will arrive at the beginning of November in the form of storms, showers, and flurries. The book predicts this weather to continue through the start of spring.  

Readers will discover that weather is only a tiny selection of what’s inside of America’s oldest and top-selling almanac. The almanacs includes content described as “useful, with a pleasant degree of humor.” Content includes gardening for everyone, with fun facts and useful garden tips and tricks. A section included within gardening covers scratch-and-sniff plants.  

The book also included recipes for breakfast lovers and anecdotes and pleasantries, such as step-by-step instructions for hypnotizing your own foot. Of course, the “Old Farmer’s Almanac” also tells stories that, self-proclaimed, only the book can tell. Stories of nature’s creepiest wild things, the origin of Arlington National Cemetery, and memorable Olympic moments are shared.   

The accuracy of the 2024 “Old Farmer’s Almanac” is debatable, but if the information is anywhere near correct, it will be the perfect chilly season to cuddle up next to a warm fire with a mug of hot chocolate.  

$100
$500