Behind the film by Wayne State professor set to premiere September 26th

Kaitlyn Michaelson
Dr. Michael White poses with his film camera in the Humanities building before going to the Majestic Theatre for the premiere of his film.

In his new film, “The Cross,” Mike White goes back in time over 100 years to tell the story of how the French Catholic immigrants in his family were targeted by hate in Laurens, Iowa during the 1920’s. This hate tried to take apart the culture but continued to bring forward enduring strength of family. 

White said he was affected emotionally and physically while working on this film.  

“There were few times though when making the film I thought, am I picking at the bones of something that is better forgotten?” White said. “It was a painful thing until I got into it and knew there was a lot to be learned and it was something that matters.”   

Mike’s grandfather opened a successful restaurant in Laurens before being driven out and tormented by the Ku Klux Klan. He said his mother is the last living member of the Moreau family.  She had nine siblings, a culmination of them shown in the three daughters, Madeline, Claire, and Prissy who was named after White’s mother in the movie. 

The restaurant was recreated a century later inside a conference room in South Sioux City for the production of the film. The filming itself took 19 days total, some of those were overnight shoots from 10 p.m. until 2-3 a.m.   

“The Cross” was shot throughout the state, locations mentioned were Remsen, Le Mars, Homer, So. Sioux City and Sioux Falls. The strawberry patch scenes brought different challenges for the crew in Sanborn, Iowa as the equipment had to be taken down and set back up between watering periods. 

Hearing about the production of the film, many talented people of all trades were involved. White taught a special projects class in the summer called feature film and production at WSC, so any film student who wanted to get the experience took the class and worked as crew.   

Film student, Melinda Winhold, was a part of this project. 

“It was incredible, was a great learning experience,” Winhold said. “I had never been on a full-length film set before so it will be amazing to see the whole thing put together at the premiere.”   

Along with Wayne’s film students, Sioux City Film Club helped set up scenes. The Smithland Fire Department came to burn the cross for the film. Also from Smithland, Bill’s Antiques added the historic touch. The weaponry props were made overseas in Spain custom for the film. New Stage Players in South Sioux City provided most of the costumes for the movie. Sound engineering and special effects were created on campus. 

Now, two years later, “The Cross” is complete and will premiere in Wayne’s Majestic Theater at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, September 26. 

$100
$500