Peterson Remodel

WSC+Senior+Libby+Aschoff+does+homework+for+one+of+her+classes+in+the+%0Astudy+lounge+in+the+newly+renovated+Peterson+Fine+Arts+Building.+
Kaitlyn Michaelson.
WSC Senior Libby Aschoff does homework for one of her classes in the study lounge in the newly renovated Peterson Fine Arts Building.

Fine arts students are enjoying the newly remodeled Peterson Fine Arts building, a two-year project that was completed in the fall of 2023. 

The school took occupancy of the new building July 6, 2023. Dr. Josh Calkin, a Wayne State College music professor, said a person’s hearing could be damaged in as little as 15 minutes.  

“We actually presented that OHSA data to the administration at the college and this is just frankly not safe for the students and it’s not safe as a work environment for the faculty,” Calkin said.  

David Bohnert, the dean of the School of Arts & Humanities, said the remodel was necessary due to safety concerns and visual appeal. “One of the big drivers is that the music department is accredited through the National Association of Schools of Music, NASM,” Bohnert said. “They accredit college and or university music programs around the natin.” Bohnert said the building was not meeting the required minimum safety standards set by the NASM. The school was in danger of losing its accreditation with NASM because of these minimum standards not being met. 

“You know I’ve said for years that at Wayne State, we had everything but the building,” Calkin said. Everything needed for a top-class music program was all their great students, excellent faculty, supportive administration – the facilities were not meeting those standards,” said Calkin. “The project has been very time-consuming, and I would say continues to be time-consuming,” said Bohnert. The project has been in the works since November 2021. 

Students now have all the facilities in one space as well as the ability to enjoy new technology and a hangout space.  

“The technology in the building is state of the art,” said Bohnert. Calkin said his favorite part of the renovation is the band and choir room. He is in awe every time he walks into these spaces. The most important part of the remodel was the safety and health risks, Calkin said.  

Calkin said the campus faculty services were the biggest help through the remodel. “We’re all incredibly grateful the administrators, architects, designers and the construction folks working on the building have been open about what we need,” Calkin said. “They really did everything to ensure that this building will be what we need it to be for the next 50 years.”  

Members of the Lyrica Treble (Soprano/Alto) Choir sing warmups led by
choir director Dr. Matthew Armstrong during their Wednesday rehearsal time. (Kaitlyn Michaelson)
Members of the Fortis (Tenor/Bass) Choir sing one of their songs during
their Tuesday rehearsal time. (Kaitlyn Michaelson)
Jazz Band ensemble members play one of their songs during the rehearsal
time. This group also includes a pianist and a couple bass guitarists. (Kaitlyn Michaelson)

$100
$500