WSC professor gives a presentation on behalf of National Athletic Training Month

Hannah Keller, Staff Writer

Kris Fox, professor in the department of health, human performance and sport development, spoke about National Athletic Training Month on March 28 at 4:30 p.m.   

As a member of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association, and with previous experience in the athletic training field, Fox was able to present a well organized presentation to educate students and staff about this career field. National Athletic Training Month is held every March in order to spread awareness about the work of athletic trainers.  

Fox’s presentation included numerous topics, including NATA’s history, what education an athletic trainer needs, and benefits of an athletic trainer.  

Before becoming a professor at Wayne State College, Fox worked as an athletic trainer for the Center for Neurosciences, Orthopaedics & Spine in Dakota Dunes, South Dakota. She received her Ph.D. in Athletic Training from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professionals in 2010.  

Fox said up until last year one had to have a bachelor’s degree in order to be an athletic trainer. Furthermore, Fox mentioned how different education is now compared to when she completed her education. on.  

“I got certified in 2001 and I guarantee there are things we no longer do,” Fox said.  

Fox specifically gave advice for students thinking about becoming an athletic trainer or going into the field.  

“Always keep an open mind and be willing to learn,” Fox said during the presentation. “The more you can speak their language, the more they’re going to respect you.”  

Barbara Engebretsen was in the audience during Fox’s presentation and spoke about Fox at the end.   

“She’s one of those students that comes along and you think, ‘Wow, she’s going to change the world,’” Engebretsen said.  

Alex McRae, student and president of the Exercise is Medicine Club, spoke about Fox’s presentation.   

“Dr. Fox created the presentation and speech after the Exercise is Medicine Club invited her,” McRae said.  

Since McRae has been in Fox’s classroom before, he knew who she was when inviting her to speak, but learned more than he had known before.  

“From Dr. Fox’s presentation on athletic training, I learned there are a lot more applications of the athletic trainer’s skills than dealing with sports injuries,” McRae said.  

McRae further said that if he had not already decided his career path, he would have considered becoming an athletic trainer, especially after Fox’s presentation.  

“I would love to see more presentations of this variety in the future, either from Dr. Fox or another professional from another career,” McRae said.  

“The most defining feature of Dr. Fox’s teaching style is a fair challenge,” McRae said. “Her classes are well-organized and a mix of hands-on and book learning. I came away from Dr. Fox’s class feeling like I learned something new and improved at a skill through practice. Her tests include written and practical exams and reflect the fair challenge theme.”