Climate change strike is held to celebrate Earth Day

Maelee Beacom, Staff Writer

Celebrate Earth Day during a climate change strike to make Earth a clean and green planet, at 4:30 in the Willow Bowl.

Earth Day is celebrated globally on April 22 and known as a day to plant trees and clean the trash that is found outside. It began in 1970 and has been celebrated for over 50 years in 193 countries stated the earth day website. 

Lauren White, WSC Green Team president, is leading the climate strike. The idea for the strike came from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, which carried out a significant strike that called for the whole campus, community, and state to pay attention and find more sustainable ways of infrastructures and climate resilience.  

“For our strike, we ask everyone who comes to wear either green or blue and to have signs that can be recycled,” White said. “Protesters can hold signs painted with empowering messages, demands and pleas for climate action.” 

At the event, protesters who come can expect speakers to be talking about the need for better air, water, and land quality. Students will also be able to talk to others who are passionate about the climate change movement. The students and adults in attendance will be able to see that there is a group of people around them trying to better the earth too.  

Protesters who come, to the Willow Bowl, can hear speakers talk about the need for better air, water, and land quality. Protestors will also be able to talk to others who are passionate about the climate change movement. Protestors, in attendance, will be able to see that there is a group of people around them trying to better the earth too. 

“It is a great way to create hope and stray away from climate doom by seeing those who create a better future for themselves and future generations,” White said.  

White is very passionate about her event and cares a lot about the earth. “I hope to create a community, spread awareness and education, and show the campus that sustainability is needed,” White said. “Our planet is worth fighting for.”  

White cares about the earth and is very passionate about hosting the strike. “I hope to create a community, spread awareness and education, and show the campus that sustainability is needed,” White said. “Our planet is worth fighting for.” 

All students are encouraged to attend this event on April 12. It will be a way to show support for this event. The climate change strike is a precursor for the other Earth day event that will be happening on campus. On April 26, there will be an Earth day clean-up and tree planting. Students can meet outside the student center at 12:15 where they will be able to help plant trees. There will also be some cleanup around campus after.