Clegg joins the music department

Grace Frewing, Staff Writer

Matthew Clegg stays busy as a lecturer in the Music Department after starting at Wayne State College last fall, he said.  

Clegg said he is teaching a variety of classes this semester, including Voice Lessons, World Music, and Aural Skills I.  

“I love the variety of backgrounds that my students bring to class conversations, and I love working with the fine faculty and staff within the School of Music,” Clegg said.  

Angela Miller-Niles, the department chair for the music department, said she was the chair of the search committee when hiring for Cleggs position.  

“We had several great applicants, but his teaching masterclass and solo performance really made him stand out,” Miller-Niles said. “He has great singing abilities and does great work helping students achieve their best performance.” 

Clegg said he attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln for a master of music degree and an ABD (All but Dissertation) on a doctor of musical arts degree.  

“I have a great love for performing and teaching, and those qualities help me to instill that passion in my students as they prepare to perform and teach in the future,” Clegg said.  

David Bohnert, the dean of the music department, said he was involved in the interview process for Cleggs position.  

“I met with each of the finalists for the position and Mr. Clegg seemed to be a very good match for WSC,” Bohnert said. “He is student-centered, understands the complexities of a school of our size and mission and was already living in Nebraska.” 

Miller-Niles said every staff member brings new perspective to the department, and she is “excited to see what his background in music theater could bring in. He is a very strong performer, and it’s also fun to have another wonderful vocalist on the faculty.” Miller-Niles said Clegg has also been involved with recruiting events, juries and scholarship auditions.  

Although Clegg has only been at WSC for less than a year, he said he has “loved the opportunity to teach the intelligent and hard-working students here at Wayne State.” When he is not teaching, Clegg likes to spend time with his three daughters at home.  

“Mr. Clegg is a fantastic singer and pedagogue,” Bohnert said. “In just his first year, he has made good connections with students and colleagues. He is an easy-going guy, who makes students a priority. His concern for their physical and academic development is evident in the way he approaches his teaching load. He has been an excellent addition to a strong vocal music program at WSC.”