Senate allocates $56,787 toward firepit installation

Aubreanna Miller, Editor-in-Chief

The Wayne State College Student Senate passed several resolutions regarding its constitutional bylaws, allocated money for the firepit addition and listened to a presentation from student Roshan Yadav, who attended the recent Clinton Global Initiative as a representative of WSC.  

Yadav submitted a proposal to the institute regarding defecation issues in Southeast Asia. After his acceptance, Yadav travelled to the conference where he met numerous influential individuals to further his plan. He also invited many of these people, including Vice Chair of the Clinton Foundation Chelsea Clinton who is also Former President Bill Clinton’s only daughter, to visit and speak at WSC.  

The WSC Student Senate, wishing to support important work done by students, refunded Yadav for the cost of his trip. 

The CGI, according to its website, brings together students from across the globe who work toward the betterment of their communities through actionable solutions. To apply, both undergraduate and graduate students can create an account and pitch an idea on the website.  

“I hope next year we can get five to six students to represent WSC at the event,” Yadav said. “[I] thank all of you for helping me be a part of this amazing experience.” 

Beginning the business section of the meeting, President Carter Ossian gave updates on upcoming events. They will host a President’s Night on Wednesday, March 15, in the Gardner Hall Auditorium at 7 p.m. for presidents of campus organizations. This event will serve as an informational meeting regarding the application process of allocations.  

Following the allocation discussion, Senators will discuss the upcoming Fire-Pit Project and donations to be featured on the fire-pit’s sign.  

Each organization will have the opportunity to donate $100 toward the Students Assisting Student Endowment Scholarship, which will award its first ever scholarship this next school year.  

With the donation, the club’s name will be placed on the signage, for visitors to view for years to come.  

Along with the Fire Pit Project, the Senators passed Resolution 82 which allocated $56,787 to complete the endeavor. The estimated amount is $49,380, but Senators have allowed for a 15% contingency in the case of needs that arise throughout the building process.  

“It’s been a long time coming and there is a lot of support for this project on campus,” Senator Griffin Ryan said. “People do want a fire pit, and with the signs, there’s been a lot of effort already. I think we’re nearing $2000 in pledge donations so far.” 

Six other resolutions passed unanimously during the Monday evening session; each brought forth by Senator Kyle Jedlicka regarding the constitution.  

Resolution 76 amended the Student Senate Election Handbook regarding approved election posters, newspaper ads and flyers.  

Resolution 77 approved the timeline for the 2023-2024 Student Senators election. Applications open on March 20 and close on March 24 at 5 p.m. Approval will then be held during Senate’s March 27 meeting. 

The final four resolutions focused on updating wording to best fit the changes Senate has seen in recent years.  

WSC Student Senate will hold its next meeting on March 27 at 7 p.m. in Connell Room 131. All students are welcome to attend.