WSC Theatre to Put on Lovesick, A Show about the Stages of Love

Erin Pfeifer, News Writer

The Wayne State College Theatre Department is set to put on a production of “Lovesick,” a play showing the progression and recession of love through its different stages, on Oct. 6-9 in the Black Box Theater on campus.  

The script contains a series of short scenes that depict love stories told by different couples. Zachary Chromy, WSC Student Director of Lovesick, said that the major theme of this play is that it takes courage to love.  

“Anyone viewing it will be able to make real life connections to it,” Chromy said. “You’ll be able to see a relationship you’ve had or a relationship you’ve witnessed. These are love stories, but they have an effect on all relationships.” 

Chromy has had some experience in directing, but this is his first time co-directing a full WSC Production. Chromy said that there has been a lot of learning through directing this piece, but he loves trying new things with the cast and crew.  

“We really created a team environment where we’re finding the show together, and it’s been a lot of fun,” Chromy said.  

Anna Mayes, an actress in “Lovesick,” said that this show is different from other ones she has done in the past based on the dynamic it presents. Mayes said that Chromy and herself are friends outside of the show, so finding a balance between friendship and direction is different than in past productions.  

Rehearsal for “Lovesick” started on Sept. 7, giving the cast and crew about a month to prepare for their first performance on Oct. 6. Chromy said the performance is coming up fast, but he is confident that they will be ready to give the audience a memorable experience.  

“What I know about the show is that it has the potential to be something really fantastic,” Chromy said. “If you come see the show, I guarantee you’ll take something away from it that will impact the way you manage your relationships every day.” 

Mayes and Chromy said they recommend “Lovesick” to all people, as anyone can relate to the scenes in some way. However, the production has a content warning for mature themes and stage intimacy, with viewer discretion advised.  

“It’s not all serious all the time, there are some very funny moments in it too,” Mayes said. “I think that this will be a really good show, though, and I’m excited to see where it ends up.”  

Admission is free for all WSC students and staff. The show will be presented at 7 p.m. on Oct. 6-8 and 2 p.m. on Oct. 9.  

Students who are interested in getting involved in future WSC productions can reach out to anyone in the theatre department or the WSC Drama Club. The Drama Club’s social media includes Snapchat, Facebook, and Twitter with the name WSC Drama Club, and Instagram with the handle @wscwildcatdramaclub.