11 Resolutions Passed at Semester’s First Senate Meeting

Aubreanna Miller, Editor-in-Chief

The Wayne State College Student Senate passed all 11 of its resolutions during its first meeting of the 2022-2023 school year. 

President Carter Ossian began with an overview of members, committee chairs and a discussion of the duties of certain positions.  

Senator Brett Hilbers, WSC’s Student Trustee for the Nebraska State College System, also gave a summary of the NSCS’s recent meetings. 

The first resolutions approved by the senate inducted a few members into their positions. These included Daisha Hoffman, Secretary; Eliana Varrucciu, Diversity and Inclusion Representative; Sarahi Lopez, School of Business and Technology Representative; Brittany Ellison, Student Activities Board Representative; Coen Herring, School of Business and Technology Representative.  

Next, the group passed confirmation of their committee chairs and members, as well as approved Dr. Ben Vilkas as their new faculty advisor, replacing Dr. Teresa Morales.  

Pi Kappa Delta became the newest club recognized by the WSC campus. This chapter of the National Forensic Honors Society hopes to use its club status to host high school speech meets and attend their national convention. Their president elect, Kirsten Fike, attended the meeting to discuss the why they should be recognized as a club. 

With Resolution 10, the Senate approved their budget of $1,604.25 from Allocations for a quarter zip jacket for each senator.  

Finally, they voted to establish a timeline for freshman to run for one of four open seats in the Senate. Since this year’s freshman class has around 750 students, they need four representatives, one for every 250 students. Elections run from Sept. 13 – 15 with election petitions due at 5 p.m. in the Student Activities office on Sept. 9.  

The next meeting will be held in Connell Rm 131 on Sept. 12.