WSC Theatre will perform “She Kills Monsters”

Graphic from WSC Website

Graphic from WSC website. https://www.wsc.edu/news/article/650/she_kills_monsters_theatre_performance_planned_for_march_24-27

Kathryn Vlaanderen, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College theatre will explore grief, fantasy, and reality during their performance of “She Kills Monsters” by Qui Nguyen.   

The show opens March 24 and runs through March 26 with nightly performances at 7 p.m. in the Black Box Theatre and a special 2 p.m. matinee on March 27.  

The audience will be delighted by the elaborate scenery, stage combat, and the creative use of invisible paint by the actors. This performance is directed by Rusty Ruth, Brian Begley who is the assistant professor of theatre/communications arts and who is the technical director responsible for the lighting and stage combat sequences. “She Kills Monsters” has approximately forty-five or more cast and crew to make this large production. Cast member Madison Glause said,  

“I think the show will be really great, everyone has been working really hard on it and I can’t wait to see it all put together!” Madison Glause, a cast member, said.  

Begley and Ruth are accompanied by intimacy coordinator and adjunct instructor Mollie Young.  

The audience of “She Kills Monsters” will be touched by the story of a young girl named Agnes who is dealing with grief after the death of her sister, Tilly. After unpacking some of her sister’s belongings, she finds a Dungeons and Dragons board game. With the help of Dungeons and Dragons, Agnes begins to discover a lot more about a sister that she never knew. This show will open discussions of sexuality, grief and the importance of bravery when faced with danger.  

“I think that They [the audience] are going to expect a greater understanding and appreciation of what it means to go through grief and how we can better ourselves through introspection,” Ruth said. “…It’s one of those shows that has a lot of humor in it so it is not depressing, but it does have those moments that are touching.”  

“She Kills Monsters” is an hour and a half and contains adult language and imagery which are not suitable for young children. Tickets cost $5 per person, with free admission for WSC students. Since the Black Box Theatre has limited seating, admissions are a first come first serve basis.  

The audience can find more information on “She Kills Monsters” on the WSC Facebook page as well as the WSC Website and any press releases regarding the show in the future.