Award Celebrates Outstanding Support Staff

Maddie Genoways, News Staff

The Support Staff Senate will be accepting nominations of standout staff members to receive the Support Staff Recognition Award until Friday, March 18. 

At the end of each academic year, this award is given to two members of the support staff determined by nominations from members of the Wayne State College community. Nominations may be submitted by all faculty, campus employees or current students to Support Staff Recognition in Hahn Mailbox #19. Due to a lack of student response over the last five years, nomination forms were only sent to faculty and staff this year.  

Since its origination in the 2007-2008 school year, this award has allowed students and staff to promote campus employees.  

The goal of this award is to highlight the hard work and dedication of Support Staff workers across the campus community,” Shawn Smith, support staff senate co-chair, said. “Quite often, the work of support staff goes unrecognized, and the outlet of this award is a good way to highlight the work that goes on behind the scenes.” 

According to the award guidelines, nominees must have been employed at WSC for at least two years, make contributions to the college above and beyond normal job requirements, demonstrate a positive attitude, work well with others and support the mission and vision of WSC. Additionally, those who have won this award in the past three years may not be selected. The winners will receive a framed certificate and will have their photo featured in the Wayne Herald, the Wayne Stater and in each winner’s respective local newspapers. 

Support Staff employees include the 90 office assistants, accounting clerks, campus security, custodians, electricians, facility operations assistants, library technicians, mail clerks, maintenance workers and broadcast engineers who work on campus. For the past five years, there have been an average of five nominations submitted.  

“The Senate would love to have the number of nominations to increase because there are a lot of deserving employees that should be recognized,” Smith said. 

Rhonda Sebade, office assistant in the School of Education and Behavioral Science, has worked at WSC for 27 years, and was one the award winners last year.  

“It was quite a surprise and honor…I didn’t know I was nominated,” Sebade said. 

Sebade said she received the signed petitions from those who nominated her after she received the award.