The Fred G. Planetarium Displays New Shows for the Spring Semester 

Todd+Young+is+the+main+act+for+the+shows+that+arriving+at+the+Fred+G.+Planetarium+this+spring+semester.++

Kathryn Vlaanderen

Todd Young is the main act for the shows that arriving at the Fred G. Planetarium this spring semester.

Kathryn Vlaanderen, News Writer

Wayne State College students can explore with the Fred G. Dale Planetarium every Friday and Saturday during the spring semester. 

The planetarium is offering a wide variety of new shows for all ages while covering many themes including observational astronomy and four exciting shows centered around the solar system. These shows will be held on Fridays at 7 p.m. and Saturdays at 1 p.m. The planetarium will also offer children’s shows on weekends entitled, “Planetariums and Lasers.” These shows are usually for children who are Pre-K to second grade age range.  

“It’s kind of nice because if the audience is relatively small,” Todd Young, professor of astronomy and physics and the planetarium director, said. “We can present them with options. We can let the audience decide.” 

One new theme will also allow audiences to embrace an in-depth look into the genre of Science Fiction this spring semester.  The cost of admission for these spectacular shows will be a donation based of $3 for kids and $5 for adults. Shows will not mandate masks for audiences and will follow COVID-19 protocols that are set by WSC. 

The planetarium is on the bottom floor of the Carhart building. The Fred G. Planetarium was able to hold a broad range of shows because the planetarium either borrows the shows from fellow planetariums or makes the programs themselves. A full listing and showtimes are available on the WSC website and posted outside the doors of the planetarium.