Staff Spotlight: Everette Oredein

Thomas Short, News Writer

Everett Oredein, the new director for student diversity and inclusion, has been working at Wayne State College for just over a month.

Oredein moved here from Duck Hill, Kentucky. Some of his responsibilities here at WSC include but are not limited to working with multicultural and minority students and helping them with the things they need help with, suggesting a change in our community and being another positive force for the students at WSC. However, it’s important to realize that his job is not limited to these students, but that diversity and inclusion is about everyone.

In his free time, he enjoys playing mahjong, riding his motorcycle, fishing and hunting. Oredein heard about WSC when he was working with students in Kansas City. He said that WSC was a very popular choice for these students because of its affordability and the wide range of degrees available here.

An esteemed scholar, Oredein has four degrees: an undergraduate in social work, a major in counseling with an emphasis in career management, a doctorate in college leadership with a minor in workforce development. All of these degrees make him very qualified and knowledgeable for the position he’s currently in.

“I don’t think you should come into an amazing institution like Wayne and try to change the culture,” Oredein said.

Instead, he insisted that he plans on focusing on the students and changing what needs to be changed, rather than coming into this position with preconceived notions of what he wanted to change. This idea of coming into the position, not looking to make changes, is something that is greatly needed at WSC. All too often, people come into jobs looking to make big changes, but the ability to observe and change how he acts based on what he sees is something that isn’t seen enough.