Wayne State Green Team writes letters in support of carbon neutrality

Collin Hain, News Writer

On Nov. 10 Nebraska politicians will vote on moving towards carbon neutrality and why clean energy is important for Nebraska, which the Wayne State Green Team encouraged by writing letters in support.

Laura Dendinger, the faculty sponsor, said it is an all-campus group that is available for anyone to join.

“We are committed to environmental issues and sustainability, we have some social activities as well as plant related activities,” Dendinger said. “We also cover and address different issues in the news.”

The actual event that took place last Thursday was put on by Lauren White, a junior, that has been the event planner for the Green Team for the past three years.

“A letter writing event encouraged everyone to write about why clean energy is important for Nebraska,” Dendinger said. “Everyone has a different has a different experience with it, there was a wide age ranger of people who showed up throughout the community.”

These letters will be mailed to the NPPD, or Nebraska Public Power District. The point of the letters are for the politicians to consider them and have an impact as it is the job to represent the will of the people, according to White.

White said this upcoming vote is important because there should be many benefits from achieving the goal of carbon neutrality by 2050. This is because wind and solar is becoming cheaper and a safer option to coal.

The Green Team is active on campus such as the Twitter and Facebook page being updated by Dendinger frequently. According to Dendinger, these social media pages help promote sustainability, which has worked well and is pleasing to see.

“In the future we are hoping to have a tree planting during Earth Week which is a big week for us, we also help with cleanup on campus ground,” Dendinger said.

The Green Team is hoping to develop opportunities for composting and having a pilot project for bee houses.

White said that the main focus of the Green Team is sustainability and to make the campus efficient as well as lessening carbon footprint.

“We are hoping to get a greenhouse up and running, as well as more green space around campus,” White said. “Additionally, we want to start a community garden.”

White said an upcoming event that the Green Team is working towards is a plant social where people are able to get a free plant. This is not for sure yet, this is just a hope.

“We welcome participation and are very interested in people’s ideas to work together for how to reduce waste,” Dendinger said. “We work with the town of Wayne to come up with inspiration for how to move for zero waste.”

If anyone wants to go to the club’ meetings, they are on Tuesday evenings at 6 p.m. in the international student’s room in the lower cafeteria.