Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow Club’s service project

Miranda Trowbridge, News Writer

The Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow Club baked cookies and delivered them to farmers at the Wayne grain elevator Thursday, Oct. 7.

The Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow, ACT, developed a service project called “feed the farmers.” The club made over 400 cookies consisting of chocolate chip, monster and sugar cookies. Deb Witt, the co-advisor for ACT, said the group met at her house at 4 p.m. and started to make the cookies. The process took about four hours and they wrapped everything up at around 8:30 p.m.

The cookies were delivered to the Wayne grain elevator Friday morning for local farmers to enjoy whenever they got a chance after harvesting. A member of the group Holly Hansen also delivered some cookies to the grain elevator in Pilger, Nebraska.

“Cookies and water were provided for them because we worry about safety at this time for farmers and they’re all in a hurry to get the harvest in and they needed a little break,” Whitt said.

This is the third year that the club has decided to hand out cookies for the local farmers. Clare Hornung, ACT’s president, said the club also had a banner set up where the cookies were that said, “ACT feed the farmers” so they knew where to go. They also made posters to explain more about what the group’s goal was and why they were there.

“I think it’s important because our club is all about communicating agriculture,” Hornung said. “It’s a service project where we thank our local farmers for their hard work while they are doing their harvesting because obviously harvesting is a rough time with a lot of late nights. It shows our appreciation and is a good service project.”

Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow is a small club that has been around for three years and is one of the newest clubs on campus. According to Hornung, the club’s main goal is to grow as a club and gain some membership.

“The idea is for the agriculture communication majors or the people who are interested in agriculture or even mass communication majors to be involved in because we go to media summits that have different speakers at them,” Hornung said. “We interact with a lot of local farmers and try to make connections as far as that goes to. It could also be helpful to agriculture business majors or even a little bit of a different major to get involved in.”

The ACT club is always looking for new members and normally meets Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. in the Humanities lounge.