Professor Spotlight: Suzanne Scott

Kathryn Vlaanderen, Staff Writer

 Suzanne Scott is Wayne State College’s newest assistant professor in the Counseling Department, and she is happy to make her new home in Wayne, Nebraska.

Scott’s story starts in Illinois where she received her bachelor’s degree in social work from Illinois State University. After receiving her undergraduate degree, she worked as a house parent for children and adolescents in a residential children’s home. After a few years of working at the children’s home; she started to work in family counseling.

She enrolled for her master’s degree at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina where she thought she would work with families and children. However, she eventually became interested in school counseling, so she got a job as a school counselor in North Carolina.

At this point, Scott was completely in love with the school setting. Currently, Scott is very busy finishing her classes to receive her doctorate degree in counselor education and supervision at Adams State University in Alamosa, Colorado. 

When she can find the time for much-needed relaxation from college classes and work; Scott loves to spend her free time reading, baking and crocheting.  Her passion for travel has taken her to over 30 different national parks and historical sites.  She loves quality family time and works alongside her husband and son who are also employed on the WSC campus.  Her family is completed by their two beloved pet dogs named Jambi and Jade. 

Although Scott and her family are new to Wayne, Scott already feels like she can call Wayne her home.

“For being a town this small, I think it is super welcoming to new people and there is always something going on,” Scott said.

Scott loves everything about her new job position and working on the WSC campus. This semester, she teaches a professional counseling skills class, a practicum class for school counselors and student affairs, as well as an internship class for school counseling.  Allison Boughn, another assistant professor in Scott’s department expressed her admiration for Scott. “She is an awesome human. I think that she is incredibly willing to understand the culture of Nebraska and she is coming to us all the way from Wyoming,” Boughn said. “She understands rural culture really well already and now she is fine tuning it to Nebraska and what that means for us.”