Annual Turkey Drop to be held Nov. 5

Alexander Retzlaff, Associate Editor

KWSC-FM Radio, also known as 91.9 “The Cat,” plans to make turkeys fly with its annual “Turkey Drop” outside Neihardt Hall on Nov. 5.

Wayne State’s radio station puts on the annual fundraiser each fall to raise donations for the local food pantry. Andrew Suiter, the station’s general manager, said the goal of the event for contestants is to select an item to drop from the fire escape outside Neihardt Hall that represents a turkey. Suiter said students can select any item to drop from the fire escape as long as the item does not contain glass or hazardous materials.

“[The Turkey Drop] really teaches those in radio production how to put together a radio event, and it’s just a lot of fun for everybody that’s involved,” Suiter said.

Michael Marek, the former Wayne State radio adviser and sponsor for the Turkey Drop, said the event was based on an episode of “WKRP in Cincinnati.”

Zoey Heimes

“It’s about a radio station, and it’s about a special event that this station does to celebrate Thanksgiving,” Marek said. “The general manager of the radio station, WKRP, hatches a plan to drop turkeys out of a helicopter as part of a special event promotion. But, of course, as people in Nebraska will know, turkeys don’t fly that well.”

Suiter said the organizations participating in this year’s Turkey Drop include Lambda Pi Eta and Wave, among others. Prizes will be awarded to clubs based on the following categories: “Biggest Splat,” “Best Dressed,” “Longest Hangtime,” “Sharpshooter” and “Fan Favorite.”

“It’s just a very nice team effort,” Suiter said. “Though I am the general manager, it all functions together when everybody in the radio class puts in their part.”