Campus litter problem receiving more attention

Alexander Retzlaff, Staff Writer

An increase in the amount of trash on Wayne State College grounds has given students and staff cause for concern throughout the semester. Students, groundskeepers and custodians find litter, like empty soda cans, cups, torn plastic and wrappers, around campus.

Custodians like Jill Bessmer feel general laziness is the highest factor in the issue.

“You’ve got adults that go to school here,” Bessmer said. “But you’ve also got the older adults, and to see that there’s so much litter on campus, from people at this age, is very frustrating when they know well enough to put it in a trash can.”

Groundskeepers like Terry Rahn, however, believe laziness is only one factor and regard the littering as a job aspect.

“There’s always litter because it blows in; the kids drop it getting in and out of their cars,” Rahn said. “I would probably say the wind more than anything [is a factor], because it blows in from all directions. I’d say it’s probably half wind, and half kids.”

Several students, including senior Travis Eller and freshman Haley Engler, believe the littering is cause for concern, Eller noted that WSC staff does their best to keep the campus clean.

“Littering, I don’t think, is acceptable in any form or measure, whether it’s one little item or a whole trash can,” Eller said. “I feel like with all littering, [the cause] is just not caring about the effects of it.”

Kyle Nelsen, WSC’s Facility Services director, constantly takes note of student and staff concerns with littering, believing the issue takes away from the beauty of Wayne State’s campus.

“I know our grounds department spends two hours every morning [picking up trash],” Nelsen said. “They average about four or five gallon buckets of trash a morning that they pick up. That’s been pretty consistent in the past.

“We have over 50 trash receptacles outside of buildings, so I encourage people to use those. Most of our buildings, when you walk into them, also have a trash receptacle also within ten to 20 feet inside the building. Anything that [the students] can do to help us keep campus beautiful, I would really appreciate it.”

In addition to support from groundskeepers and custodians, students are also coming up with ways to hold one another accountable. Despite thinking the situation can be easily remedied, Engler is not as optimistic about the situation.

“I don’t feel like [the issue] is really being addressed,” Engler said. “I feel like it can be [addressed], though, with more signs, maybe over trash cans or around campus.”

Students concerned about litter inside their dorm halls can contact Resident Assistants or custodians for assistance. Facility Services is also willing to help students with concerns about littering, and is reachable by phone at 402-375-7274.