Sci-fi club disbands after 23 years of existance

The fiction entertainment club decided to come to an end this semester

Ana Mata, Staff Writer

Science Fiction & Fantasy Club has been around for 23 years, but just last Tuesday, Sci-Fi club members had voted for its disbanding.

On the first week back from the holiday break Sci-Fi club was not scheduled to meet, the club wanted to give members time to readjust themselves and become comfortable with their new classes before holding club meetings.

President of Sci-Fi club Landon Norquest informed a member of the group he could no longer continue being President due to other extenuating circumstances.

“After the meeting with our advisor Tiffany Dearstone, I gathered what officers we had left and everyone else and said we’re going to have to talk about this,” said Vice President of Sci-fi club Keith Lewis.

Tuesday an emergency meeting was called by Lewis saying there was to be a meeting at 5:30 p.m. which would be addressing “rumors” and “issues” that had been circling around the club since before break.

“Let it be known that we only are doing what the club asks of us, and there may be alumni of this now former club that are not happy,” said Lewis.

“However, you are not a voting, paying member of the club,” Lewis said. “The voting members choose what the clubs do as a whole and the officers just execute what the club votes for, aside from that, I do stand by the decisions I made, someone had to put the options on the table and I was the one that had to do it.”

Sci-Fi club has unfortunately been in a slump for the last few years. Attendance has been declining in numbers and communication between Sci-Fi officers has been lacking.

“Personally, I was just peeved that a lot of this was going over my head,” said Lewis. “There was no communication or lack thereof any communication between us officers.”

“To me, that is a bit concerning because one I did not have access to club email which part of that is on me,” Lewis said. “I didn’t even know what the password was. I could access the Gmail, but not the WSC email.”

The creation and continuation of Sci-Fi club was the starting point for many other clubs to take roots such as Dungeons and Dragons and League of Legends.

“We have other clubs that started picking up more specific details and events that Sci-club did not always focus on,” Lewis said. “I support all the other clubs that associate with us and hope the best for their growth.”

Other Sci-Fi and fantasy admirers have begun talking about starting a new club, like Sci-Fi club while some want something completely different.

“For those that would want to start a new Sci-Fi club, I wish you the best of luck in your venture and hope you find something that works best for you,” Lewis said.

Even with sci-fi’s ending, there are still different ways to meet others that share common passions and hobbies. There is an entire floor in the Berry dorm hall which is called the Guild, which is dedicated to Sci-Fi enthusiasts and others who share similar interests. The Guild has only been around for two years with this year being the second.

“For those on the outside looking in don’t come questioning every single Sci-Fi member we all have different views and that can cause confusion, a lot of us are still trying to accept that Sci-Fi club has ended,” Lewis said.

The spring event WillyCon that is usually hosted by Sci-Fi is still being worked on. WillyCon is a convention that focuses on sci-fi and fantasy related themes and is open to the public.

“We decided that there wasn’t much time left, so we couldn’t just sit on our hands and hope for one of the clubs take on WillyCon and throw it together with little experience in doing so,” said Former Sci-Fi club President Ben Froistad “I felt a responsibility to try as I was Sci-Fi’s President last year.

Froistad has taken on the role of trying to organize Willy-con for this year with the help of former Sci-Fi officers and other volunteers.

“There are several people helping me with WillyCon this year Travis Gard, Andrew Clegg, Rebecca Jean, and many more including faculty such as Jeff Piper and Tiffany Dearstone.

“We are looking for more volunteers! Any help we get with setting up the convention as well as running it is greatly appreciated,” Froistad said.

Those that wish to host a panel at WillyCon can submit the panel through Wayne State College’s website by Mar. 1 for the panel to be included in the program, for any more questions students can email Ben Froistad ([email protected].) for more information.