Fall Festival Fun

Alex Retzlaff, Staff Writer

Students across campus gathered to escape schoolwork by attending the Fall Festival on Thursday, Sept. 20, in the Kanter Student Center. The festival provided a creative outlet in the form of sand art. Students gathered around tables to create sand art in Halloween-themed bottles. In addition, the festival also provided snacks and games such as Jenga and Uno.

The Wayne State College Student Activities Board hosted the second annual Fall Festival. The festival was originally intended to be held in the Willow Bowl, but SAB changed the location due to chances of severe weather.

Students didn’t allow the location change to deter their chances of having fun.

“[The festival] is a good time to take our mind off of classes, and just kind of have fun,” said Seth Ostrander, a freshman at WSC. “If I’m being honest, I was doing homework before [the festival], and I was excited to take a break and come here.”

In addition to the crafts and games, a raffle drawing was held every hour of the festival. Abigail Jamousek, a junior who won a television at the festival’s raffle contest, felt amazed at how lucky she got.

“I enjoyed [the festival] a lot,” Jamousek said. “I went with a couple of friends, which I think really makes it better than going by yourself. I made a comment, because [SAB] drew two other names, but those people weren’t there. You had to be there to claim your prize. And I told the girl ‘Okay, you should draw my name,’ and then she did out of random coincidence.”

Ricki Bartels, a programmer for the SAB, also enjoyed the activities.

“The thing that I liked most about this event is the photo booth and the sand art,” Bartels said. “I love to do crafts, and I think it’s a great way to spend time with your friends, so why not bring it to campus?”

The SAB is also sponsoring activities for Homecoming Week, which is will provide additional avenues for students to get involved on campus.