Crime Scene Investigation Facility officially opens

Anastacia Mata, Staff Writer

Wayne State College criminal justice majors are getting ready for their own version of “CSI: Wayne America.” On August 23 the WSC Criminal Justice Association unveiled the new Criminal Justice Crime Scene Investigation Facility – a facility in the making for three years.

“We worked with the Wayne State Foundation and they talked to some donors,” said Jason Karsky, criminal justice department chair. “We had an outstanding turn out; the donors donated a majority of money and the rest was raised in small events.”

The building will be open to all students and faculty across campus to be utilized in whatever way they see fit.

“Our chemistry majors can use the building to study the forensics side of a crime scene,” criminal justice major Rachel Grisham said. “There are a lot of different departments that will be able to use the building.”

Students and faculty now have a place where they can set their knowledge and skills to the test. Before, students said there was not much they could do when it came to learning how to examine crime scenes.

“We usually just [studied] online with pictures, or we would have small hallway classes in Connell where we were able to do a few things,” said Jasmine Stephens, criminal justice major. “But now we will be able to do more hands-on learning as if we were in a real crime scene.”