Dr. Andria Cooper Criminal Justice Memorial Scholarship Benfit Walk

Logan Schneckenberger, Guest Writer

The Wayne State College Criminal Justice Department lost a valuable faculty member this past February, Dr. Andria Cooper. Dr. Cooper was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in August 2017 and passed away six short months later. Alpha Phi Sigma Criminal Justice Honor Society is organizing an annual benefit walk to help raise funds for an endowed scholarship in her name. We hope you will join us for our first kick off event April 11th.

Biography of Dr. Andria Cooper

Before teaching at WSC, she sat as a New Mexico state level district court judge after serving as an attorney, primarily in the area of criminal law. She had been both a prosecutor and a criminal defense attorney, but also had experience in the areas of civil rights, constitutional law, victim advocacy, and general areas of legal practice. Dr. Cooper was involved in many activities. She created mock crime scenes and mock trials for classes, which allowed students to present cases at trial, testify as witnesses, listen to the case as jurors, or assume other criminal justice roles in the courtroom. She was the advisor of Delta Upsilon, a chapter of the national American Criminal Justice Association and was the driving force behind the new Crime Scene Investigation Lab that is currently under construction at Wayne State College.

$10- participate in the benfit walk (no pre-registration required)

$15- event t-shirt only (not participating in the walk)

$20- participate in the benefit walk, get the fundraising t-shirt, and enjoy a free pizza lunch at the event (Pre-registration required by April 4th!)

The benefit walk will be held on April 11th, from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM meeting in the Hahn Parking Lot. If it rains we will meet at the Rice
indoor track and field. Door prizes from local businesses will be given out to those who participate in the walk on April 11th. Must be present to win. Turn in payments to Connell Hall 101. Please make checks payable to Alpha Phi Sigma. For more information or free will donation please contact Dr. Wanek, Alpha Phi Sigma Advisor ([email protected]).