Taking care of yourself and others

Ali Gardner, Guest Columnist

Ultimately, it is one’s relationships that define an individual. Perhaps this is especially true for the majority of college students, because college is one of the most formative times in one’s life. The relationships students develop and maintain during this period have a potential life-long impact. This sentiment is reiterated by Dr. Mary Kreitzer, the director of the Center for Spirituality and Healing. She states, “(Relationships) nurture us and they help us grow. They help us become better people.” Relationships have also shown to help reduce stress, improve holistic health and increase one’s longevity. Because they are such an important facet of one’s life, challenges in relationships are important to address. This leads to the central question of “What do we do when health issues affect a relationship?”

There is a plethora of health issues that could plague someone you have a relationship with, regardless if it is a mental or physical health problem. Because facing these challenges is never an easy task, it is crucial that you are supportive. The British Heart Foundation has seven key steps that offer advice for doing so. If the person facing health challenges has to make drastic changes, such as diet or more physical activity, you could make similar changes. This shows unity, and motivate them to stick to the new regimen. Furthermore, you can genuinely ask how they are coping. This shows support and care. Also you can help remember their medical routine, and help remind them to take their medication. Additionally, offer to go to appointments with them. This way, they don’t have to face a potentially stressful or upsetting appointment alone. These actions help establish a sense of comfort in hard times and display strong loyalty.

Not only is it important to encourage the person you have a relationship with, it is also important to maintain your own personal holistic wellness. According to the Wellness Coach Elizabeth Scott, there are 10 primary strategies to establish this. Getting enough sleep is of the utmost importance, as well as eating nutritiously. Physical exercise and pursuing your personal hobbies are also recommended. Remember to pamper yourself every so often, even if it is a little indulgence. Furthermore, it is critical to acknowledge your emotions and understand them. Meditating is an excellent way to cope with stressful situations, and provides a clear mind.

By practicing these steps, one can ensure that only does the person they have a relationship remains healthy, they also guarantee their own well being. Because relationships have such a significant impact in our lives, it is critical to make sure that both individuals are well within the relationship.