International Dinner showcases other cultures

Photos by Joel Johnson

Kadra Sommersted, Staff Writer

Wayne State College welcomes international students from more than 24 different countries. The annual International Dinner, held on Sunday, celebrated and honored these students and their cultures.

About 200 people attended, and the line for food wrapped around the Frey Conference Suite. Many of the people who attended were students and community members.

Lin Brummels, director of the Counseling Center and the International Club adviser, said that they have this event about
once a year.

“The International Club over the years has done this – the first event I was associated with was in 1984, I believe,” said Brummels. “I did it for a number of years, and then a few other people took it over. The most recent was Ron Vick – worked with the group for about 19 years. Then last year they worked with the Multicultural center to put it on, and so this year the club (is) kind of doing it all by themselves.”

“The International Dinner is an event organized by the club to help promote and encourage the diversity around the campus,” said Oswald Adohinzin, sophomore. “This is our way to make people aware of this diversity on campus.”

He said he doesn’t think many people know about other countries and this is how other cultures are being shared.

“This is one of my favorite events at Wayne State,” said Catherine Rudin, professor emeritus. “It happens every year, has happened every year for several decades at least.”

She said this year she cooked bonista, an Bulgarian entrée; danced some salsa; played mariachi and led the audience in a group dance at the end.

“There are both students and faculty from quite a few different countries,” said Rudin. “There are people who are interested in other cultures.”

She said that it’s different every year, but always a good time.

“Going around selling tickets this last week,” Rudin said, “I had several people say that they had been looking forward to it, and wondered when someone was going to come offer them a ticket.”

She said that people always look forward to the dinner year-to-year.

There were 11 performances for the entertainment portion of the evening. To start things off, Bryan Chavez and Catherine Rudin danced the Salsa. Then Alex Linder performed a vocalist piece. “Call It What You Want” sung by Shaun Rosada followed, as well as a mind reading from Jeff Carstens. Next, Vanessa VonSeggern performed vocalist piece. A rendition “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Shaun Rosada and Tshiyamba Negeleka followed. There also was a piano solo by Jennifer Fees; a comedy skit from Mary Carstens; and a flute/piano duo by Eve Ortmeier and Jennifer Fees .“Stay Woke” sung by Tshiyamba Negeleka and a performance from Mariachi Negro y Oro wrapped up the evening.