MBLGTACC comes to Omaha

Kadra Sommersted, Staff Writer

The WSC Pride group attended a program last week where they learned more about themselves and how to network. The program ran from Feb. 16 to Feb. 18 in Omaha.

Karen Granberg of the Counseling Center and adviser of the Pride group said the program is known as MBLGTACC.

MBLGTACC stands for Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally Collegiate Conference. WSC senior Demetris Bumgardner said that this year’s theme was “All Roads Lead to Intersectionality.”

“It’s held in the Midwest every year, every February,” said Granberg. “It’s for the LGBTQIA community to gather and educate themselves and others on the realities of the (LGBTQIA community).”

She said that it was an opportunity for them to network and find
LGBTQIA friendly employers.

“There are sessions specifically on different sexual orientations, different gender identities,” said Granberg. “So there can be one session on bisexuality and what it means to be bisexual.”

She said that this conference was a good opportunity for students and advisers alike to learn more about themselves and how to make their way in the world.

Senior Paige Allen said the best part of the program was “definitely learning about other parts of the LGBT+ community, especially trans issues.”

“As a white, cisgendered female, I am very privileged in today’s society when it comes to race and gender,” Allen said. “It was awesome to learn about other people’s struggles and issues so I know how I can support them in the future.”

She said that there were a variety of speakers and panels pertaining to the LGBTQIA community.

“One of my favorite sessions I attended was about how to come out in the work place and if it’s safe to do so,” said Allen.

She said that this was her third time attending and she looks forward to it every year.

“We actually had alumni Emily Leeper present her honors project research from last year at the conference,” said Allen. “Which I think is really cool because it’s very competitive to be a speaker at these conferences.”

Bumgardner said that her favorite session was “Understanding Power and Privilege Under the Umbrella” because it helped her understand the privileges she has. She said that it helped her educate herself more on the privileges she doesn’t tend to think about.

“The best part of this conference is that it is a safe, comfortable, and educational space where I am surrounded by people that are just like me,” said Bumgardner.