WSC debuts new web portal

Carl Ruskamp, Staff Writer

A new web portal aims to boost prospective students’ awareness of WSC’s programs and people.

Wayne State College’s new marketing portal, www.explorewaynestatecollege.com, went live Aug. 21 for prospective students and parents to utilize as they make the important decision on where to attend college.

“The portal will potentially help grow enrollment by shaping awareness and perception of the college,” said Jay Collier, director of College Relations. “We are a high-quality institution that is affordable and accessible. The content on the portal reinforces these attributes.”

The new marketing portal serves as the landing page for television, radio, print and digital advertising, Collier said.

“All of our television and radio ads prompt viewers and listeners to visit explorewaynestatecollege.com, which contains videos and other information designed to show prospects what it’s like to be a student at Wayne State College,” he said.

The website – the next step in the college’s recruiting efforts – is designed to be mobile-friendly and is updated regularly.

“Marketing affects us in our everyday lives,” said Collier. “It will help you become an educated consumer.”

The landing page offers visitors a variety of areas to explore, including Academic Excellence, Campus Life and Beyond, Athletics and an interactive campus map. Links to request information and apply to WSC are prominently displayed. Current WSC students are featured in photos and numerous videos on the site.

“The use of current students in our marketing efforts aims to help prospective students decide if we are a good fit. It’s more peer-to-peer marketing,” said Collier. “The criteria going into the project was to have students talking about our programs in a way that was positive, emotional and aspirational. The website helps you become more aware of the variety of our programs and the benefits of attending Wayne State.”

A Student Life video, for example, shows students interacting with faculty, visiting the library and walking in groups across campus.

“The criteria was to be real, authentic, candid, informative and emotional,” said Collier, “We want prospective students to have an inside look at our programs and people in order to help them make the right decision about Wayne State College.”

The items most searched on the website are academic majors and financial information. WSC plans to feature new programs and videos on the main page to attract potential students.

“The new website portal will help not only students, but nationwide prospects who will potentially attend WSC,” said Kevin Halle, director of Admissions. “The variety of programs helps us showcase how we truly see WSC.”

Halle said he hopes the new portal will boost campus visits and help prospective students take the next step in the application process.

“If they visit the campus and remain interested in us, we can see an increase in applications as well,” said Halle.