The trouble with living in the dorms

Kadra Sommersted, Guest Columnist

Living on campus is a new experience for me, and a lot more different than I thought it would be. I got used to having quiet surroundings when I wanted to sleep or study. Boy, is it different in college dorms.

Let’s start with the studying process. Good luck trying to study in the middle of the day when people are playing their music loudly next door, or walking down the hall with a speaker blasting rock. Some next-door
neighbors even enjoy making loud, inappropriate noises and then laugh while talking about mayonnaise. Instead of being able to study, I am working my hardest to keep my mouth from yelling obscenities at the top of my lungs at them. Before someone tells me to go study in the library, I can’t focus when there are people that I want to talk to around me. The obnoxiousness of the human beings that do this is beyond a pet peev of mine.

Now bed time. We have quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 9 a.m. Do people listen? HA. No! For some reason, this gives them the go-ahead to run
around the halls, playing tag. They also think that it gives them a reason to play video games, or watch TV and yell their brains out about it. Many nights I can’t fall asleep until midnight because someone decides to have a dance party next door.

Let’s be real though, I don’t have to be doing something that will higher my education for the obnoxious sounds to bother me. I can be watching “One Tree Hill” calmly in my dorm, when all of a sudden, my
neighbors are yelling at each other to F*** off. Hitting the cinder block wall doesn’t do anything to help because they just laugh and continue to do what they are doing. So there goes my mood and patience
with people for the day.

Now, God forbid that I laugh loud once. The whole freaking world caves in giving them a reason to tell me to be quiet. Never, ever did I think that I would get so annoyed living next door to people. Again, I was wrong. Maybe this will be a learning experience for me on controlling my tongue around people who annoy me. Either way the loud music and irritating people are at the top of my rant and pet peev.