Creating a collaborative space in the library is top priority

Taylor Koch, Staff Writer

College libraries have been places of solace for students across the country for decades. However, that refuge at Wayne State has been disrupted the past two years. The US Conn Library was one of the few construction projects given top priority by the college.
“There were both building facilities reasons and there were educational purposes,” Library Director David Graber said. This was why it was given precedence.
Building facilities reasons means the building itself was structurally struggling.
“We had severe climate control issues,” Graber said. “We had a lot of asbestos in the building. We were out of compliance with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Our elevator was ancient, having problems getting parts for it. We had mold in the building. We had a lot of structural building issues.”
Additionally, the educational needs of WSC students were evolving.
“Libraries were sort of warehouses and the primary purpose of any campus library 30 to 40 years ago was to store books,” Graber said. “The old building didn’t have a lot of study rooms or noise control, and we’re at a point where students learn collaboratively.”
Construction on the library consisted of a complete overhaul of the building.
Though commonplace in the 1950s and ‘60s, the asbestos coating the ducts had to go. ADA standards are met with new bathrooms, signage, elevator and ramp, Graber said.
To fit the educational needs of today’s students, the new library will have study rooms for eight to 12 students to work together on projects and study. New ceiling panels allow for students to talk and work together without disrupting others. The Holland Academic Success Center will also move into the library.
“What we really want to do is create a collaborative space,” Graber said, “and provide different types of study environments.”
A major aspect of this renovation is the project’s funding.
The library was a top priority to WSC and the Nebraska State College Board, Graber said. The Nebraska Legislature gives funding to top priority projects presented by the state college board, from Wayne, Chadron and Peru.
“We got funded in 2013,” Graber said. “We got a several million dollar appropriation from the Legislature (about $12 million). We also got LB309 task force money (about $3 million), which is the cigarette and tobacco tax that goes to either ADA compliance, energy efficiency or fire and light safety. And there was a little over $3 million donation from the Wayne State College Foundation.”
The WSC Foundation helps fund large projects on campus and scholarships for the WSC students. They work with different contributors, including Wayne State alumni.
“We did $3.1 million,” WSC Foundation CEO Kevin Armstrong said. “We had some strong support from donors. The Gardner Foundation out of Wakefield was a lead gift for this project. We also had strong support from the Peter Kiewit Foundation in Omaha and the Daugherty Foundation in Omaha. A large amount of our Wayne State trustees executive board, members of the foundation and our alums contributed as well.”
Some have considered this project a hindrance, especially those who work within the library and near theconstruction zone.
“It’s frustrating, but it’s getting there,” circulation desk staff member Stephanie Hempel said. “I started here when the library was the old library, and everything was from the ‘70s and easy. Then everything slowly moved all around. The books were upstairs and downstairs and now they’re over here. Just getting used to constant change has been really annoying.”
The complaint was echoed through Grace Black, circulation student worker.
“Everything keeps moving around,” Black said. “I think it’s weird because I was a freshman and I had seen the library before construction. Now they’re going to make the quiet area upstairs and the entire time I’ve been here, the quiet area has been downstairs. So it’s just weird.”
For the director, there is a different set of issues.
“For me, (construction) probably takes up a solid third of my time, maybe more,” Graber said. “You’re constantly dealing with trying to work around certain facets of construction. During the first year, it required a lot of adjustment as we were moving furniture and services to temporary places and coordinating and informing with people about what was going on.”
As to the length of the project, phase construction (completing sections at a time) slows down the process as a whole to be able to occupy some parts of the structure, Graber said.
It’s not all bad, though. As the final phase commences, the project’s positives are coming to light.
“I’m excited about the instruction space upstairs,” reference librarian Valerie Knight said. “Once it’s completely done, we’ll be able to hold classes in there. We’re bringing in the Holland Academic Success Center, the TRC, etc. We’ll have all the different groups here to support students.”
“We’ll get the basement area back around Christmas break, roughly,” Graber said. “We’ll get the main floor here February-ish, and then the top floor around April or May.”