Old floor, new feel

Emmalee Scheibe, Staff Writer

Mike White is an adjunct at Wayne State College since 2009 and up until this year was only an adjunct for CNA 100. He is still an adjunct, but now is teaching more classes due to the absence of Maureen Carrigg.

“It’s very bittersweet to be here,” White said. “I know that Maureen wants me to be here.”

Carrigg was his professor when he was a student at WSC. White graduated from WSC in 1991 with his undergraduate degree in mass communications and speech communications.

Wayne feels like home to White because his grandmother was in one of the first classes to graduate from WSC. In 1911 her class donated the sundial that is located South of Brandonberg.

When he was a student at WSC, he was a program director for Catvision 6 news and was on air with 91.9 The Cat for three years. He feels comfortable on the 4th floor of Humanities because it makes him feel at home.

“This is my department,” White said.

He loves being here, but the decision on whether he will become a permanent faculty member is up to the college.

“I want to do what’s best for the department,” White said.

He feels as if he can bring a lot of good change to the Communications Arts Department because he saw a different side of the industry than Carrigg did. She saw the news side of the industry, while White saw the advertising side as well as working with independent films.

White has held various position at different companies. He has worked at KCAU TV in Sioux City, WM Bass Advertising, and KTIV Television. He left the industry to sell computers that did sound editing. He has also been a judge at the Siouxland Film Festival.

White has some ideas to draw attention to the Communication Arts Department, including a competition of short films done by students, getting live bands to come and play in the studio, interviewing the bands on the radio and performing a concert for the students.

He would like to see more growth in the majors of the Communications Arts Department.

“If I end up being here long term, I would like to explore these options.”