Helping kids around the world

Hannah Schauer presents her travels to Mali to help orphans

Freshman Hannah Schauer is not only making an impact on the Wayne community, but also overseas in Bamako, Mali.

She gave a presentation last Wednesday on her experience helping out in a Mali orphanage.

“We [her church] have been sponsoring the orphanage for around three years. When talk of a trip came up, my heart was set for it despite the questioning with the terrorist activity,” Schauer said.
Schauer spent her December 2015 semester break in Bamako from Dec. 30-Jan. 9, despite possible safety issues.

The Radisson Blu Hotel was attacked on Nov. 20, when 22 people were killed and 14 were injured.

A woman named BiBi, who oversees the orphanage, hosted the group and acted as guide.

“We did not stay at the hotel, but we stopped by and went to take a look at it. We got metal detected and searched a little bit,” Schauer said. “BiBi wanted to show us that her country is safe and things like this happen, even in the US.”

Although there was a warning from the U.S. embassy not to travel to Mali, Schauer, along with three others, still ventured to Bamako to help at the orphanage. The others that accompanied Schauer were her fellow Nebraskans, Pastor David Zirpel and Kyle and Stephanie Schutte.

When they first arrived on an early morning, they found banners on the orphanage welcoming them, and BiBi gave the group a tour before they got some sleep.

BiBi made sure to show them Bamako, and she provided a security guard, who was a tall boy holding a gun. Many residents, however, cannot afford a gun.

The group found that the orphanage can accommodate around 30 kids. It was typical for there to be three kids to a bed or two babies to a crib.

The four from Nebraska tried to enter a hospital, but found that it was too unclean to enter.

Having a baby costs $20, and the mother has to share a bed with another woman also giving birth.

However, the experience certainly provided some uplifting moments as well.

Many of the kids were happy to see the four Americans. Their church had raised funds for a Christmas dinner for the orphanage as well.

Students in the WSC African Students Association had also sewn about fifty dresses, and those were passed out at the orphanage.

“The kids are full of excitement all of the time. They loved having us Americans there,” Schauer said.

The kids were holding signs as the Nebraskans left, and some of the kids even cried.

Schauer says she would like to go back one day, and plans on going on the upcoming trip to Asia as well.