Was one enough?

VPAF search committee had ‘wide variety of stakeholders’

Hanna Conrad, Staff Writer

The presence of only one faculty member on a search committee to replace the retiring Jean Dale as Vice President for Administration and Finance at WSC has drawn a mixed reaction among faculty.

The nine-person committee completed interviews with three finalists earlier this month.

Craig Pease, an assistant professor in the School of Education and Counseling, was the
one faculty member selected to serve. Other committee members included, Dr. Michael Anderson, Chad Altwine, Dr. Vaughn Benson, Eddie Elfers, David Graber, Barb Meyer, Carolyn Murphy and Matthew Ley, who represented the outside community.

Dr. Randy Bertolas, professor of geography, said that the VPAF interacts with many on campus. He is certain there was “a wide variety of stakeholders” on the committee and said that one-eighth representation for a faculty member “seems like a fair amount.”

Not all faculty shared that view.

“We are stressing improvement of communication between faculty and administration,” Dr. Mark Leeper, political science professor, said. “I would think faculty would have a greater
representation since the VPAF has an impact on everyone. In other searches, there has been a faculty member from each school to voice their concerns.”

Dr. Chuck Parker, professor of economics and finance, said that “faculty is an important piece and is sometimes under-represented.”

“On the other hand, one is probably enough in a committee for VPAF,” Parker said. “If a different position, such as the president, needed to be filled, four or five faculty members should be represented in a committee.”

Anderson, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, chaired the committee.

“There is no typical number that I know of,” he said. “This position reports to the President and he set the committee.”