Sunshine state of mind: Under a blood moon

Stephanie Hempel, Columnist

If you follow news updates, Facebook posts, or just occasionally glance up at the night sky, then you’re probably familiar with the eclipse that occurred on Sunday night.

The word about the super blood moon, red moon, lunar eclipse, or bleeding sky was spread across the board and everyone, including myself, had to set aside a little time in their busy lives to watch.

As I plowed through the groups of students huddling together on sidewalks, I couldn’t help but notice how beautiful it all really was.

Sure, once I found my seat among the others, I too was in awe of the great sight above, but almost grander than that, was the sense of community and closeness surrounding me on the ground.

The campus was filled with people taking pictures, and swapping stories while gazing up at the greater beyond and unknown. I thought to myself how nice it would be if we all fell into place like this more often, we on a grander scale meaning humanity as a whole.

Can you imagine if “we” lived with this sense of connectivity everyday of our lives?

The Midwest seems to be blessed with a sense of togetherness unlike any other in the country.

Have you ever been to a small town elementary school concert?

You’d swear the Pope was preparing to walk through the gymnasium doors with the amount of spectators crowded into a single section of bleachers.

What would happen if “we” used this connection someplace else?

Perhaps we could push this energy into helping improve our crumbling environment. Being the tree loving, universal energy channeling, barefoot walking person I am, this only seems to make total sense.

If we idolize the moon as much as our Facebook posts suggest, it only seems right that we’d do everything in our power to keep the night sky in place.

I wonder if “we” really are at a loss with the world, or if the real answer doesn’t lie within ourselves. Maybe it is when we are unified for one common purpose.

I guess we’ll figure it out sooner or later. In the meantime we can keep scrolling through those philosophical Facebook posts, staring up at the stars waiting for all the answers to expose themselves under the color of a bleeding moon.