WSC named to Honor Roll with Distinction

Students recognized for service-learning

Matt Lanik, Staff Writer

For the fourth consecutive year, Wayne State College was named to the Honor Roll with Distinction by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS).

One-third of WSC’s undergraduate population participates in service-learning. To put it into perspective, only Creighton University and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln received the award alongside WSC.

In fact, WSC students provided more than 14,000 hours of community service to meet the needs of non-profits and regional businesses in the area. The 2014 award covered service-learning hours completed by an estimated 1,000 students for the 2012-2013 academic year.

It is important to note that the application for the reward requires three projects be used as models to illustrate the campus service-learning program. The exemplars submitted by the faculty included Dr. Laura Dendinger’s business communications course, Dr. Marilyn Mudge and Liesel Powicki’s literacy assessment course and Sandy Driskell’s GST-Succeeding in College – TriO courses.

The CNCS is a federal agency that helps more than 5 million Americans improve the lives of those around them through community service. Major programs funded by CNCS include AmeriCorps, Senior Corps and the Social Innovation Fund. CNCS was established in 1993 and leads “United We Serve,” President Obama’s national call-to-service initiative.