WSC Students share travel stories

Janet Rodriguez, Staff Writer

WSC International Club has collaborated with the International Student’s Office at WSC to organize an event this week during which students share their experiences.

“It’s an event that’s meant to promote awareness about international education,” Peter Mutayoba, Vice President of the International Club, said.

The club hosted this event in celebration of International Education Week. Other colleges and universities around the U.S. have organized similar events.

Students from different study-abroad programs set up tables in the atrium of the student center on Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., when food was provided by Chartwells.

Amanda Hillebran and Jora Jackson-Brown represented the Costa Rica study-abroad program.

Dominic Reinke had a table to talk about his experiences in Turkey, where he lived from December 2013 to August 2014.

“I would recommend taking a year off school to see the world to someone who is not sure what they are going to school for,” he said.

The Asia table was presented by Ellie Thuy Tran, Brandy Worster and Michael Reed.

An international student who came to the U.S. from Vietnam also had a table to share her experiences.

Latinos Uniting also engaged in a cultural event on Tuesday. They attended the Heartland Latino Leadership conference at the Embassy Suites in La Vista. The conference has taken place every year for more than 10 years.

The event gathered about 600 participants coming from Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska. It was an eventful day for Latinos Uniting, starting at 7 a.m. and lasting until 7 p.m. They had workshops, speakers and food.

“The focus was about being an organization for Latinos to learn, develop, nurture and maximize their leadership potentials as individuals and professionals,” Latinos Uniting President Debbie Hernandez said.

The Native American Student Alliance (NASA) at WSC held a beading workshop Monday and Tuesday that taught students how to peyote stitch. For a $20 fee, it provided the lanyards and other beading supplies to students.

In continuation of NASA celebrating Native American Heritage Month, it will have a dream catcher workshop the following Monday.