Weighing in on eating disorders

Megan Tomasiewicz, Opinion Editor

In a society that is increasingly obsessed with physical appearances, eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia are becoming ever more prevalent. But can you recognize the signs of an eating disorder? Knowing the warning signs could mean the difference between life and death for a loved one suffering from one of these often fatal conditions.

“I Had No Idea” is the theme of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, celebrated this year from Feb. 23 to March 1. Its main goal is to make sure people are able to notice the often subtle signals of an eating disorder.

Many college campuses across the country are participating with events like scale-smashing parties—designed to help people examine how weighing themselves makes them feel—and fashion shows that feature models with all sorts of different body types.

Wayne State College is also taking part in the cause. Both 91.9 The Cat and KWSC-TV will be airing student-made PSAs and special programming this week to coincide with National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

The WSC Counseling Center offers eating disorder-related help all year round. Many students don’t know that they can meet with a nutritionist through the Counseling Center—for free—if they are interesting in learning healthy eating habits. The nutritionist comes to campus every Wednesday, plus one extra day a month. She will even accompany you to the cafeteria to help you make realistic food choices. All you have to do is call the Counseling Center at 375-7321 and make an appointment.

Our preoccupation with social media could also be a source of the explosion in eating disorders. Users on websites like Tumblr have romanticized the idea of having an eating disorder, leading many vulnerable people to forfeit their long-term health in exchange for the “perfect body.”

But there is nothing glamorous about your hair falling out. Ruining your teeth by constantly exposing them to stomach acid is not cute.

And permanently damaging your heart and kidneys through self imposed starvation is definitely not haute couture. No one will think about how pretty and thin you look when you’re lying in that casket.

So please treat your body right. Eat food when you’re hungry. Never beat yourself up over having that candy bar, just make a better choice next time. And if you have an eating disorder or suspect that someone you know is suffering from one, get help.