WSC finishes 11th at NSIC Championship

Photo by Marlon Brink

Molly Kingsley maintains pace on golf course grass.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Justin Brueggemann led WSC to an 11th place finish on Saturday in the NSIC Cross Country Championship, hosted by Concordia-St. Paul at the Les Bolstad Golf Course in Falcon Heights, Minn.

Augustana University seized the team title with 46 points, followed by Sioux Falls who finished with 67 points. MSU Moorhead (81), University of Mary (100) and Minnesota Duluth (124) were the other teams to finish in the top five teams. Minnesota State (135) edged Winona State (137) for sixth place with Northern State (263), St. Cloud State (287) and Southwest Minnesota State (301) closing out the top 10 teams.

Wayne State was 11th with 317 followed by Minot State (350) and Concordia-St. Paul (356) rounding out the team standings.

Brueggemann ran came in with a time of 27:41, capturing 39th place out of 112. Freshman Jack Doughty helped the Wildcats by coming in 75th place and senior Nick Fly finished shortly after Doughty in 78th place.

“I was a little disappointed with the way I ran today, but still ran a pretty good race,” Fly said.

Other top finishers for WSC were; Nick Schmit (29:30), Cortland Cassidy (29:40), Corbin Lehn (31:18) and Joey Black (32:34).

Andrea DeSimone led the WSC women to help the team complete the meet with a 15th place finish and a final score of 416 points.

“I didn’t place as high as I wanted to, but I am looking forward to regionals next week,” DeSimone said. “I am going to try a new race strategy that will hopefully place the team and I higher.”

DeSimone placed 56th out of 124 with a time of 25:15 over the 6,000 meter course. Senior Molly Kingsley followed in 80th place at 26:12, along with senior Melissa Kroll who had a good showing for the Wildcats with a time of 29:23.

“I thought I ran really well. I was very pleased with myself,” Kroll said.

Other top finishers were; Mary Alderson (29:50), Megan Svitak (33:51) and Sarah Post (34:27).