Imprisoned Hekmati reportedly sick

Son of former WSC prof suffers in Iran

Photo from Freeamir.org

Former Wayne State resident Amir Hekmati is held as a prisoner in Iran after visiting his family. Hekmati’s father was a professor at WSC.

Megan Tomasiewicz, Contributing Writer

Former Wayne resident Amir Hekmati is still imprisoned in Iran, despite an optimistic update on his plight over the summer.

In 2012, the U.S. resident and former Marine was visiting his grandmother in Tehran when he was detained by the Iranian government on suspicion of being a spy for the CIA.

Initially sentenced to death, Hekmati was granted a retrial that has never come to fruition. He has languished in an Iranian prison for three years and has not been allowed much contact with his family.

Hekmati’s father, Ali Hekmati, taught microbiology, genetics and general education biology at Wayne State College from 1986 to 1991. The Hekmati family later relocated to Flint. Mich., where they currently reside. Ali has been in poor health, and the family is desperate to have Amir returned so he can spend time with his ailing father.

A Muslim cleric who is close with the Hekmati family was able to meet with Hekmati during a trip to Iran. Imam Mohammad Ali Elahi was granted a visit with Hekmati on Aug. 25. According to the New York Times, the visit left Elahi feeling hopeful about Hekmati’s release.

Hekmati, who has denied any wrongdoing, seems to be a victim of unfortunate circumstance and the poor relations between Iran and the United States. There have been no negotiations between the two countries concerning the release of Iran’s longest-held prisoner.

In May, the U.S. Senate called for Iran to immediately release Hekmati and two other American prisoners. The measure, passed by a bipartisan 90-0 vote, was never responded to by Iran.

To add to Hekmati’s terrible situation, a recent update on the “Free Amir Hekmati” Facebook page states that Hekmati is suffering from an ongoing respiratory illness. It is suspected that he has tuberculosis, but demands from the family that he be tested and treated for the disease have gone unanswered.

However, it’s obvious the Hekmati family isn’t giving up. The “Free Amir Hekmati” Facebook page is updated every day, usually with a post tallying how many days Hekmati has spent in prison.