Undefeated in sunshine state

WSC softball goes 7-0 on spring break trip

Richard Rhoden

The Wayne State College softball team celebrates a home run last season. The Wildcats went undefeated in their annual spring break trip to Florida.

Melanie Alyea, Staff Writer

Plenty of sun and plenty of wins is how the WSC softball team spent their spring break.

The Wildcats spent their week participating in the National Training Center Tournament in Clermont, Florida, where they went 7-0 for the first outdoor games of the season.

“Getting back on the dirt was something I was really looking forward to,” sophomore catcher Monique Alyea said. “It’s not something people would think makes a big difference, but it really does.”

The ‘Cats came out on fire for their first game on March 8, winning 12-1 against St. Thomas Aquinas.

The second game of the day, played against St. Joseph College, was a little more interesting, having to go into extra innings after WSC’s Sam O’Brien tied the score 5-5 in the seventh inning with a solo home run.

WSC scored a total of five runs in the eighth inning after doing international tie-breaker, while St. Joseph ended up scoring only one, giving the ‘Cat’s the 10-6 win.

The next day, March 9, the Wildcats played another two games, starting off with a 5-1 win against Maryville University.

The second game against California University of Pennsylvania was another nail bitter for the ‘Cats.

Senior Kelcie Bormann was the winning pitcher for WSC, only allowing four hits to California University.

“I just tried to focus on hitting my spots and making my pitches move because they are a good hitting team,” Bormann said. “Our defense was strong and helped me out a lot.”

The ‘Cats were ahead by one run with two outs in the bottom of the seventh and runners on second and third when Bormann had the hitter ground out to shortstop O’Brien to end the game, giving WSC another win, 2-1.

The rest of the week was smooth sailing for the Wildcats, who took another three victories before heading back home.