Men’s Basketball wins final game of regular season

Hayley Ortmeier, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College men’s basketball team won the last game of the NSIC regular season 76-63 against the University of Sioux Falls at the Rice Auditorium on Saturday evening.  

The home game started close in the beginning of the first half with the score being 14-14. Shortly after, the WSC Wildcats grew a favorable lead. With seconds left in the first half, senior guard Nate Thayer made a three-pointer from the half court line, ending the half 48-29.  

The Wildcats were able to steadily keep the lead throughout the second half, winning the game 76-63. Redshirt freshman guard Justin Eagins was the lead scorer with 18 points in the game.  

“We closed out on a great note,” Eagins said. “Winning the last game for our seniors on our home court on a Saturday night with a great crowd.”  

Prior to the win, WSC had suffered a loss of 81-79 against Sioux Falls on Dec. 4, 2021. The Wildcats were up 42-37 by halftime, but lost the lead later on. Ben Dentlinger, a senior forward, said one of the main difficulties the Wildcats had was rebounding. Once the team got a chance to play Sioux Falls again, Dentlinger said they made sure to work on rebounding and shut down good shooters on the other team.  

Head Coach Jeff Kaminsky said he is proud of how the team played against Sioux Falls. He said the priorities were to finish the game off and keep the lead after the first half.  

Going into the conference tournament, Kaminsky said the team’s main focus is to “just take it one game at a time.” The team had been dealing with injuries and sickness for most of the season, so it has been difficult having to adjust. Saturday evening’s game against Sioux Falls was one of the few games all the players suited up. Although not completely healthy, Kaminsky said the team is on the road to full recovery going into the conference tournament.  

Even with these setbacks, the Wildcats still have the potential to win the tournament. 

The men’s basketball team will be playing St. Cloud State to start the first round of the NSIC Sanford Health Tournament on Wednesday, February 23, at 6:00 p.m. in the Rice Auditorium.