Bressler Fest rolls on

Nick Ulrich, Staff Writer

Bressler Fest of 2019 may have been rained out on Sept. 29., but plenty of people still showed up at the Wayne Auditorium to hang out and listen to the band, Stonehouse, perform classic rock hits.
The band, which also played the festival in its first official year has shown tremendous support for the event.

“It’s good for musicians and good for the town,” Eddie Elfers, guitarist and vocalist of Stonehouse, said.

Elfers may be familiar to students as he works at Wayne State as the director of teaching and learning technologies. Elfers plays in the event each year and enjoys coming to watch music, even when he’s not playing.

Elfers said he likes the festival because there aren’t many opportunities in town for musicians to play shows or festivals. Stonehouse also consists of Kevin Becker on drums, Bo Hartl on bass and Eric Dendinger on keys.

The festival happens each year, every Sunday after Labor Day, for four weeks. In the three years the festival has been happening, many outstanding performers have played a set in the park.

Last year, Hector Anchondo, an internationally recognized blues player, played one week. This year, the Nebraska Brass Band played an energy-filled set at the park.

Jill Brodersen, the director of Bressler Fest, said it began three years ago as an opportunity for friends and family to come out to the park and hang out with music.

Brodersen said she worries too many people go home on Sunday’s and stress about the upcoming week.

“I wanted a place people could go to and just sit back on a Sunday night and enjoy some music.”

Brodersen also said the park is very important to Bressler Fest. “I wanted people to be able to listen to a variety of music in our beautiful historic park,” Brodersen said.

If students aren’t as interested in music, Bressler Fest offers entertainment in many varieties. Brodersen said that one part of the festival she really enjoys is that kids can feel welcome to come and play around instead of having to sit still like at many music events.

The festival usually features food and drinks as well as, including a Tacos and More food truck, Johnnie Byrde’s root beer and root beer floats, and cakes and bakery items from Hilda Piersen.
Brodersen said next year will be special because of the new stage, which was built at Bressler Park.

Brodersen, an architect who is involved in city planning, said she had been designing the stage for a while and she hopes they can build a canopy in the next year, which will help prevent rain cancellations in the future.

JULIA BAXTER — Due to the weather outside and possible rain, Bresslerfest was moved from Bressler Park to the city auditorium, but that didn’t stop Eddie Elfers and his band (insert band name here) from rocking the room.