Smash Bros., Casino Night and revised rules

Student Senate inducts a new club, plans a future event and re-works rules for senator applications

Steele Giles, Staff Writer

Games were on the brain for much of Sunday’s Student Senate meeting, between final preparations for Casino Night and the approval of a new club.

Joining WSC’s already extensive club roster is the Super Smash Bros. club, a group headed up by sophomore William David and senior Patrick Hancock. The club plans on helping students get involved and get better at the game. They also hope to run tournaments for local players. This will strive to supply access to all four versions of the game and will help players transition between them as they wish.

The Senate’s government committee has been reworking the rules for applying to be a senator. Previously, aspiring senators had to gather signatures from others in the same department, a process that could be hit-and-miss even on the relatively small WSC campus. After all, with roughly 2,700 students and over 90 educational programs to pick from, finding somebody with the same major can be a bit of a trick.

Under the new rules, representation would be divided by academic school, broadening the pool of viable signatures by a significant margin. The number of seats on the senate would remain unchanged.

Most of the other changes are for clarity and ease of understanding. The proposed changes will be on the ballot of the upcoming Student Senate elections and will be explained in detail prior to voting.

Student Senate elections are set for March 23 and 24. As the current president and vice president will be leaving office, they are now looking for candidates. Students looking to declare candidacy must be enrolled for at least 9 credit hours, have completed 15 credit hours, be in good standing with the school, hold a GPA of 3.0 or better and submit a nomination form with 50 student signatures to the Student Secretary by March 12.

Current senate members Kelley Robinson and Matt Mullins have already declared interest in the positions.
Students looking to become senators must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours, have completed 12 credit hours, hold a GPA of 2.5 or better and collect a nomination petition signed by a professor in their declared major and 25 students from that major. Freshmen senators must collect the signature of a professor they have worked with since beginning classes at WSC. The form must be delivered to the Student Secretary by March 4. These elections will take place on March 15 and 16.

The biggest news out of the senate meeting is that it passed raising the student activity fee by $2. This would raise yearly tuition by $48 at most and would add nearly $130,000 to the budget that the allocations committee uses to fund clubs.

The rationale behind the raise was that since the committee has been cutting back funding to all clubs over the past several years, increasing the budget would allow them to return to old levels of activity. Most commonly mentioned was getting more concerts and other student entertainment events on campus.