Hekmati’s connection to WSC

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Two weekends ago, Amir Hekmati was finally freed through a prisoner exchange.

This exchange traded seven Iranian prisoners held in America for four American prisoners held in Iran: Hekmati, Saeed Abedini, Jason Rezaian and Nosratollah Khosravi-Roodsari.

Hekmati reached U.S. soil for the first time after being confined to an Iranian prison for four and a half years—the longest-held hostage among the four Americans.

Hekmati was imprisoned in Iran because the government was concerned he might be a spy for the U.S. Despite the U.S.’s protests and Hekmati’s own testimony that he was only there to see his grandparents, he was detained and made international headlines.

He was sentenced to death in 2012, but that ruling was overturned.

What most people do not know is that Hekmati, U.S. Marine and prisoner of war, as a child lived in Wayne.

“Amir’s dad, Ali Hekmati, was a chemistry professor on our campus, and their kids and my kids were the same age,” WSC business professor Meena Dalal said. “Sarah Hekmati, Amir’s sister, was the classmate of my daughter Piyali Dalal.”

Dalal explained how the two families had been good friends, visiting, playing and even sharing meals together.

Although Dalal said she had not communicated with the family recently, her family often says prayers for the Hekmatis, and Sarah and Piyali still communicate.

“I do remember at one point my daughter wrote a big article, that Sarah said they are working through the proper channels with U.S. Congressman Dan Kildee from Michigan,” Dalal said.

Dalal said she had heard Amir was released from another friend from WSC and was happy to hear the news.

She was glad a deal could finally be made and he was brought safely home.

“He is looking good from what I saw on the television. Maybe a bit more tired. I hope that with his freedom now he will be able to pursue his life’s goals and dreams,” Dalal said.