Bowen Renovation changes plans

Bowen Hall will be closed for the million-dollar work in fall 2016

Michael Menish, Staff Writer

Starting in the fall, students planning on living in Bowen Hall will have other living arrangements.

The Nebraska State College System’s Board of Trustees approved a remodeling plan for the dormitory on November 13, 2015.

Originally, it was planned that the remodeling would happen in phases and students would continue to occupy the residence hall. That plan has shifted due to cost and time-saving measures.

Dr. Jeff Cartstens, Dean of Students, said the expected completion date is August 2017. According to the program statement of plans for the remodeling, estimated cost are roughly $11.7 million.

Carstens said students should prepare for a bit of overcrowding during the reconstruction, because students who would normally have been placed in Bowen Hall will now be placed in other existing dormitory halls. According to Carstens, discussions are ongoing where exactly to place the 400 students, mostly underclassmen, who would typically be housed in Bowen.

The updates for Bowen Hall include such major factors as the heating and cooling systems as well as window replacement. According to Carstens, it is more cost and time-efficient to have contractors available to complete the project at one time rather than in phases and having to move students around.

“With projects like this,” Carstens said, “there would always have been some inconveniences. In this case, long term inconveniences override short term inconveniences.”