Increased security at graduation was to help attendees feel at ease

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Due to incidents at colleges across the nation, security was increased during December graduation.

“Actually, what we’re doing is being proactive, and we want to provide as much safety as we can at events like that when we have a large number of people coming to campus,” Campus Security Manager Jason Mrsny said.

Overall, Campus Security and the Wayne Police Department believed that with recent violent occurrences on college campuses this was the right step to take.

With recent incidents on campus, both The Wayne Police Department and Campus Security had concerns about commencement.

Officers from Nebraska State Patrol, Wayne County Sheriff’s Department and Wayne police teamed with Campus Security for December graduation.

Marlen Chinn, Chief of Police at the Wayne Police Department, explained how several departments would have to respond to an incident and met prior as a precaution.

“Those same departments came together on graduation day working with WSC security officers to help them out with the large number of attendees and increased traffic and vehicles for the day, while at the same time working through their protocols for the different levels of event planning to familiarize all the departments involved,” Chin said.

Mrsny mentioned that people that attended graduation noticed the increased security presence.

He said they received a lot of compliments about this increase in security, and was glad to make the community feel safer and more comfortable.