Beloved performers leave too soon

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Twenty days into the New Year, there have already been six celebrity deaths.
Alan Rickman was one of these deaths. He died at 69, due to cancer.

“There are not a lot of 69-year-old actors out there that could claim to have such a diverse fan base, either,” adjunct theater professor Molly Spieker said about Rickman. “He earned the respect of everyone—both critics and teenie-boppers alike—because he was so darn good at his craft.”

Rickman, who had a career that spanned decades, was perhaps best known for his role as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series.

Other deaths already this year include David Bowie (musician), Brian Bedford (voice of Robin Hood in the animated movie), Dan Haggerty (Grizzly Adams), Rene Algelil (musician and husband of Celine Dion), and Glenn Frey (musician).

Wayne State College students have been reacting to these celebrity deaths in a multitude of ways.

There have been many conversations held on campus reminiscing about the acting careers of these celebrities.

“Facebook was so depressing that day I was scared to get on it because of his death,” senior Justin Damme said.

During the weekend, Harry Potter music played during the 5 p.m. bell, reminding the campus once more of Rickman.

There is a laminated poster in a women’s restroom in Anderson Hall, and there have also been notes there about Alan Rickman and David Bowie.

“He (Rickman) had such good roles, and it’s sad to lose somebody that can portray a character like he could. It’s sad to somebody like him,” Damme said.