New club added to WSC

Lambda Alpha Epsilon now offered for criminal justice majors

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

The nationwide criminal justice association, Lambda Alpha Epsilon, had its first meeting in Wayne on Wednesday in Connell Hall Room 131.

The fraternity originated in Los Angeles in 1937, with the help of Frank Gompert, as a way for trained officers to get together and share ideas.

Originally one of the requirements was that all graduates involved must have obtained grades of B or higher.

Currently, there is not a chapter in Wayne, but an application has been sent in to make it official. There are 14 active members at WSC already, and this chapter’s status should be known in about a month.

“I joined because I am a criminal justice major, and I really wanted to bring a professional aspect to the criminal justice field to Wayne State College,” senior Courtney Paul said.

Paul serves as president of WSC’s Lambda Alpha Epsilon, helped create the newly formed group and led its first meeting.

Criminal Justice Professor Dr. Andria Cooper provided the initial impetus to bring this club to Wayne, and Paul was also a driving force in helping the club be recognized.

“I had heard of Delta Epsilon years back when I taught some other classes at a different university. I like giving students some practical application and practical knowledge,” Cooper said.

Anyone who joins will receive a membership package that includes a pin, a frameable and printed laminated certificate on parchment paper, a membership card, a decal membership certificate, a club journal, the membership oath, an explanation of club symbols and paperwork for anyone else interested in joining.

Membership also involves a multitude of opportunities that include scholarships as well as honors and awards. Careers are also made available as job fairs are sometimes held at regional and national conferences.

Club members can present papers for possible publication and may be involved in writing competitions sponsored by the organization.

Other possible events include competitions involving crime scene, firearms, physical agility, competitive writing, exams for criminal law, criminal evidence and police management.

Next fall the club is planning to attend the crime scene investigation competition in Norfolk, and other national tournaments are also possibilities.

“I would recommend people join this club because it’s a sense of professionalism in the field of criminal justice, and it really prepares you for what’s to come after college,” Paul said.

Lambda Alpha Epsilon is scheduled to meet again on Feb. 10 at the same time and place of Connell Hall Room 131 at 3:30 p.m.

To join Lambda Alpha Epsilon there are some conditions. The person applying has to be at least 18 as well as pursuing a criminal justice major or minor. There is also an initial fee of $35 to pay for the national organization and a $5 fee for the campus club.

Anyone that fits these requirements and wants to join can contact Dr.Andria Cooper at [email protected] for more information.